Friday, November 05, 2004

Election Blues

I'm definitely not happy about the election outcome. I've been paying too much attention to the aftermath and something that is really bothering me about what people say is that the Democrats need to pay more attention to "moral values" and the people in the south and midwest. I understand what they are saying but I seriously disagree. I think this country is way too divided for that. If I get called (by association) a cultural elitist one more time I think I'm going to scream. If believing in equal rights for all people in this country is elitism, so be it. But there is no way I am going to compromise my values so someone in the south can get their way. Just none. So much handwringing is going on, why are we losing the south and midwest? The Democrats are losing the south for the same reason they lost the south after the civil rights act was passed, because the overwhelming feeling there is one of intolerance, in this case manifested as intolerance of homosexuality and abortion. To these people, moral values is a socially acceptable way of saying bigotry. I'm not sure the divides that caused the civil war are healed and I seriously doubt that Bush is going to make any moves in that direction.

Oh, one more thing. Why are Democrats and liberals called elitists for not speaking to the "heartland" and the people in the south and midwest not intolerant of outsiders? The Democrats haven't been able to elect a president since Kennedy from outside the south who wasn't an evangelical Christian. Why isn't that being addressed as a problem? Is it because they just won power? I think so. Well, I'm going to fight them. I don't have any interest in fighting them other than self preservation. They don't like people like me. To them I'm an outsider, an elitist. They are projecting.

As I said, I don't believe the civil war ever really ended. I don't want more violence but this system that allows geographic oppression fans the flames of these disputes. I don't feel like I live in the same country as they do, and who knows, maybe soon this won't be the same country. I can think of worse things.

No comments: