Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Thanksgiving!

My favorite celebration in the holiday pantheon is in a mere two days! Thanksgiving day. A day to eat lots of delicious food and bask in the warmth of my family and friends. As I grow up things like that mean more and more to me. When I was younger I much preferred the excitement of Christmas (because of Jesus, not presents. OK, because of presents) and to a lesser extent my birthday (only because of presents though since the day is a month after Christmas I unjustifiably felt I was getting screwed out of more loot). Now, though, I can pretty much get for myself the material goods that I want and I'm only about 98% as selfish as I was when ten, so that lessens the importance of Christmas in my life. And my birthday has nearly no importance because I don't usually have parties as self-aggrandizement isn't my style, I am more the humble greatness kind of guy. I'm much too good to try and convince people how good I am by throwing myself parties. I mean, god, some people just don't have the humility that I do.

So that brings me back to Thanksgiving. Ever since 1999, our uniquely American holiday has been the tops in my book. That was the first time that I remember Thanksgiving being a fucking blast. My aunt and uncle from Germany were there, their friends from Utah with their adorable kids, my new girlfriend was there, and countless family friends. I'm pretty sure there was a cozy glow emanating from the fireplace and I'm also pretty sure it was my first Turducken experience. A love affair was born. And now that I live in stoopid Eugene, Thanksgiving has taken on a new meaning as my well deserved break from school and chance to spend time with my family in a nice warm place. So, Thanksgiving, I am thankful for you! Oh yeah, and I'm also thankful for Abraham Lincoln's role in the holiday. He preserved the Union, freed the slaves, and gave our nation an excuse for a kickass four day weekend!

A true hero.

No comments: